Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Tuesday, 3 May 2005

Holy mackerel! Fish attacks angler

Isn't that headline hilarious? Here's the article from the Herald.

BRISBANE - A Queensland fisherman suffered the ultimate revenge when a mackerel jumped into his boat and floored him -- and then got away.

In what he called a bad case of "fishy's revenge", Glen Hopper suffered bruised ribs, cuts to his face and arms and a dented ego when the 1.5m fish jumped out of the water and hit him on Sunday morning.

"It felt like I'd just run into a brick wall, because I was going 20 knots one way and it was speeding the opposite direction," the 43-year-old Sunshine Coast man said today.

"I remember it coming out the water and the next thing I knew I'm in the back of the boat winded, trying to get my breath."

Mr Hopper, who said he had set out to catch a haul of mackerel on Mooloolah River, was in his 4m tinnie when the "freakish" mishap occurred.

He said the mackerel, which he guessed weighed about 30kg, shot out of the water and into his boat, hitting him in the chin and chest.

It knocked the recreational fisher out of his seat and sent him tumbling backwards before spearing back into the water.

"I remember thinking 'What am I doing back here and how come I can't breathe?'," Mr Hopper said.

Mr Hopper, a scientist, said he had taken the day off work to recuperate from his injuries, which included grazes to his chin and arms caused by the fish's sharp fins.

He initially feared he had suffered a collapsed lung but doctors believed he was badly bruised.

A sheepish Mr Hopper said he never explained to his boss exactly why he needed the day off.

But he admitted he was something of a joke among his mates after retelling his unusual version of "the one that got away".

"It's fishy's revenge I suppose. It's been a bit of a laugh with my friends," Mr Hopper said.

"I've seen them come out of the water before but not at me."

***

Imagine if he'd rung up his boss and told the truth...

"Hi. I, uh, can't come into work today. Yeah, I was... hit by a fish."

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol that's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

10:11 pm  
Blogger Ayannali said...

WOW!!

LOL, thats just amazing...

can we call it Karma?

2:53 am  
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

Fantabulous post. Can't stop laughing. Nice job.

5:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home