Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Friday, 22 April 2005

Rant: Bits and pieces

*shiver* It seems that winter has arrived overnight. A few days ago everyone was at the beach, but for the first time this morning I woke up cold and in need of my slippers. In this temporate climate, we only seem to have two seasons, not four. It is a beautiful morning though. Blue, clear and crisp. Now bring on the snow so I can go skiing.

***

I saw on Campbell Live last night that workers are complaining about being tested for drugs while they're on the job. Nandor Tanczos was whining about violation of rights - that he only smokes in his spare time and that others should be allowed to do the same without being punished at work. Hello! It is illegal to smoke cannabis *anywhere*. Those who do it don't have any rights to protection. Whether they're found at home or work, it doesn't matter. They shouldn't be smoking drugs anywhere. I note with satisfaction that Mr Tanczos has slipped down the party ranking this morning.

***

It saddens me to think that people generally have no conscience. I was appalled to walk out to my car the other day and find yet another dent caused by someone else. Standard practice used to be to leave your details so that the afflicted person could claim on your insurance to fix their car. I cannot afford the bill or the insurance excess to fix my car, so it will stay dented. That makes the fourth time someone has done this to me - and I always park in perfectly respectable places! The first (and most major) time, I paid out to get it fixed. Now these three other dents will just have to stay on my car and decrease its value. I couldn't live with myself if I did that to someone else and just drove away. Where have all the decent people gone?

***

And now to end on a positive - it's a long weekend! YAY! And I would like to announce that I have now written 80,000 words for my novel. It's coming along nicely, and will continue to if I can just stop procrastinating and do the hard yards. Mmm, nice hot milo. Now I'm warming up.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rainypete said...

I can't say as I know where the decent folks have gone. Not halfway round this dirtball up here in Canada, that's for sure. Someone whanged in the rear fender of my car and only left the dent in their wake. I can only hope their door fell off when they got home (Although that is extrememly unlikely it is entertaining)

1:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home