Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Monday, 4 April 2005

Movie review: A Walk to Remember

I saw this movie on the weekend. I had no idea what it was about as someone else had rented it. The first few minutes made me dubious about whether I would like it. Teens getting into trouble and all that. But soon afterwards we are taken on a wonderful, poignant, and heartbreaking journey. I just loved this film. I've got to admit I'm a sucker for these classic plots anyway - guy from the wrong side of the tracks, girl who believes in him, some terrible circumstance that will keep them apart. I love it when tough guys get gentle. But moving right along...

The film stars Shane West (Eli from Once and Again) as Landon and Mandy Moore as Jamie. Mandy does a good job, but her character is not as multi-faceted as Shane's. He was the stand-out performer for me. Entirely believable as a delinquent and as an earnest man in love. The rest of the cast is somewhat in the background, but fill the space well. The music is a mix of teen and Christian pop, songs by Mandy and also one written by Shane (although I couldn't figure out which one when I was watching it). The songs suit the moods well, and do a good job of illustrating Jamie's innocence.

The main reasons I loved this film are probably because I strongly identified with the female lead and was captivated by the performance of the male. The emotions feel very real (get your tissues ready for the second half). It's probably predictable to a cynic, but for those of us who go along for the romantic ride, it's brilliant. Rent it when you're next by yourself or in the company of other hopeless romantics.

Imdb

Official site



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home