Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Tuesday, 10 May 2005

CD Review: It's Time by Michael Buble

I had looked forward to Mr Buble's second album with much anticipation, after having enjoying his first immensely. His debut was a mix of tight swing and beautiful ballads. The second is somewhat different. While the songs have all been treated with a jazz feel, there is experimentation with lots of different styles. And while I think I will like it just as much, you just need to be in a different mood.

First I'd just like to say that it seems obvious that Michael found love between the making of his first and second albums. Apart from the sweet note to his lady on the sleeve notes, there is an undeniable sincerity throughout the album as he sings about love and devotion. How nice to know he has someone in mind while he sings those lovely lyrics.

The first song, "Feeling Good" is probably associated to most with diva Nina Simone. I think Michael does a good job. It sets an interesting tone for the album. Overall his vocals are much freer and experimental on this album. The orchestrations are, to my mind, impeccable. He has a great band.

There are some songs which I don't feel he has added much to (while being pleasant enough), as they have been done so much in the past by great artists. These are: "A Foggy Day", "I've Got You Under My Skin" and "Mack the Knife".

The songs which I enjoy the most are the sweet ballads, especially "You Don't Know Me", "Try a Little Tenderness" and "You and I". He just has such a sensitive voice, which communicates love and longing perfectly. You can tell he wrote the ballad "Home" as the words just sound as if they are poured from his heart. It may be a simple song but it communicates the sentiment well.

Track 4, "Quando, Quando, Quando" is a duet with Nelly Furtado. I was a little worried when I heared about the pairing, as I can't say I care for Ms Furtado's other music. I was, however, pleasantly surprised. Her voice, kinda soft and lazy but with points of staccato, seems to suit the rhythm and arrangement of the song. They do sound quite nice together.

"Can't Buy Me Love" is of course a cover of the Beatles original. I do like the tempo, but I think the arrangement is a bit much. Michael is drowned out at times and it loses its crispness. An interesting treatment though.

"The More I see You" starts off in grand style - this is the Michael Buble we know and love. It then strips back before building up again. Mike even has a go at scatting towards the end and is pretty good. Thumbs up.

"Save the Last Dance For Me" seems like it's trying to be the "Sway" of this album, but I'm not sure it makes the cut. I would listen to this version rather than the original, but it's not one of my favourite songs on this album.

"How Sweet It Is" is classic rock and roll (with jazz accents) and makes a nice change. A punchy arrangement with Michael's voice weaving over it like silk, getting more gritty as the song progresses. I like it.

"Song For You" takes the album in a Blues direction. Michael sings it with great passion and the muted trumpet is a treat. It will be interesting to see what else he does in this style in the future. "My Funny Valentine" was given a similar treatment on his DVD.

"Dream a Little Dream" could have fit into the "doesn't add much" category, but his whistling is so classic it deserves its own praise. Nicely done.

Overall, would I recommend buying the album? Yes. It delivers many different things, and takes you through a variety of moods. Don't go looking for a clone of the first album, but for an exploration into an evolving talent.



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Wardo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:03 pm  
Blogger kralyx said...

I enjoyed the album very much, and he does experiment a lot with the songs. Even Coutnries become jazz-alive.

8:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home