Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Wednesday, 16 February 2005

Another unnecessary debate: the NZ flag

Why must people get these ideas of out nowhere to change something which has served us perfectly well until now. These people have too much time on their hands - they should just concentrate on their blogs ;-)

My wallet and I are getting depressed just thinking about all of the taxpayer's money that would have to be sacrificed just for the administration of changing it. Think of all the things that would have to be altered throughout the world... the mind boggles.

However, if it does have to be changed, surely it should be the silver fern? It's an emblem that we all identify with, and it doesn't have any bias towards one race or nationality.

For more, go to this site. The following images are from NZFlag.com.

The existing design:



My favourite amongst the new designs:



Very popular design:

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont really know anything about NZ..what's this debate over the flag?

12:19 pm  
Blogger Carlotta said...

As you can see I've updated my original post to include some graphics.

The current flag reflects the fact that we are nation of the Commonwealth in the Southern Hemisphere (the four stars are the "Southern Cross" constellation). The Australian flag is the same, except it has two more stars.

The feeling is that the flag no longer represents our country as we have so many different cultures. People think it's irrelevant. There have been lots of designs, which you can see at the site I've linked to. As I think the silver fern should be used (it's a neutral symbol), I've posted the two most publicised versions featuring it.

3:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home