Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Friday, 11 February 2005

Movie review: 84 Charing Cross Road

This is one of those charming movies about the letters interchanged between two dear friends. He (Anthony Hopkins) is the owner of a bookshop at the title address, and she (Anne Bancroft) is an American author with an apetite for rare English books. It is set during World War Two. The gentle movie is enjoyable because of the friendship cultivated between such different characters half a world away. Even though they never meet, the friendship becomes the most important part of their lives.

This is a slow, rambling sort of movie, a bit like "Remains of the Day", but less depressing. Don't expect lots of action, but expect to feel a true connection with the characters and sympathy for their situation. It's amazing how excited the English women are over their package of stockings! Highly recommended.

When I was in London I was wanting to find the address of the film, but to no avail. My friend and I walked down part of Charing Cross Rd (near the tube station) and there were no charming little shops to be found. Perhaps I was at the wrong end?

Imbd



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home