Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Friday, 14 July 2006

Three quick CD Reviews

It was my birthday recently, and as a result my music collection has grown a little.

"Home" by The Corrs

I was initially a little disappointed as I started to listen to this album. On the first few songs Andrea's voice just wasn't that charming - I think perhaps they are set too low for her. However, from about track 5 onwards everything is as you'd expect. Lovely songs, great arrangements and that knack that the Corrs have for making the traditional relevant. Perservere with this one and you'll be rewarded.





"Unexpected Songs" by Julian Lloyd Webber

This CD is just divine. Lloyd Webber has picked a large variety of songs to play with simple accompaniment. Each is different, but all are sublime. It is gentle, soothing, yet inspiring music. Uplifting and calming at the same time. If you have even an inkling towards liking classical music, you should buy this album.





"The Essential Doris Day"

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I think I am beginning to like Doris Day almost as much as Ella Fitzgerald. They're quite different in style, but probably equal in charm. Doris is just so easy to listen to, so upbeat and cheery - she just makes you smile.

This collection is a good mix of pop and jazz, swing and blues... and is impossible not to like. I can also recommend her "16 Most Requested".



(Never say I don't have eclectic tastes)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home