Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Thursday, 30 June 2005

Book review: "The Maiden of Mayfair" by Lawana Blackwell

I bought this novel having thoroughly enjoyed two other of Blackwell’s books, “The Widow of Larkspur Inn” and “The Courtship of the Vicar’s Daughter”. The characters were so real that I liked spending time with them, and the plots slowly evolved in a realistic (if somewhat idealistic) fashion.

I’m not sure I enjoyed this one quite so much, because the plot didn’t really “grab” me – it’s evolution was so slow I found myself losing interest, until the final flurry at the end. There was one twist which made things quite interesting, but I found the main conflict towards the end of the novel a little irritating. And while I did develop sympathy for a few of the main characters, most of them were somewhat one-dimensional.

That said, it is still a charming read. It is a story of personal discovery and development set in Victorian London. The plot centres around Sarah Matthews, a young orphan who comes to live with a wealthy widow and a cast of quirky servants. The origin of her birth is always in question and this is what really drives the plot through various twists and turns, with some romance thrown in for good measure. I’d recommend this book if you want a light, non-challenging and wholesome read.



Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bradley Herring said...

Not too big on that era of British literature, but Ella Fitzgerald is amazing. How can life get better than listening to her and Louis together? I don't believe it can.

6:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home