Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Monday, 24 April 2006

CD Review: Buddy de Franco and Oscar Peterson Play George Gershwin

I bought this CD from a street vendor on La Rambla in Barcelona. It was packaged with two others and I had no way of knowing if it was any good - except for some key factors: it was published by Verve Records; Oscar Peterson is a legend and I'm sure he would only play with the best; and Gershwin's music is gorgeous and has infinite scope for interpretation.

When I finally got home to my CD player, I knew I had been on to a good thing the moment the music reached my ears. The men are supported by a vibrant orchestra, and each piece is rich and satisfying. Whether intense and mournful (I Wants to Stay Here), light and joyous (I Was Doing All Right) or bright and furious (Strike Up The Band) - this CD is a joy to experience and if you come across it you really should buy it. Oscar's fingers run across the keys so fast I have trouble imagining it, and Buddy's clarinet just seems to sing. Perfect for a lazy afternoon.



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home