Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Tuesday, 28 February 2006

Book Review: “Sense and Sensibility: The Diaries” by Emma Thompson

I’ve had this book sitting on my shelf for a while, since the last time I could afford to buy myself books (some years ago). I finally opened it a few months ago, and it’s been a pleasant tome to dip into every now and then. Thompson introduces the diary with a description of a meeting of director, writer and producers before launching into epistles of the actual shoot.

The diaries themselves are an eclectic mix of scene detail, personal grievances, other film news and gossip from afar, and thematic analysis. I really enjoyed some of the entries. While reading others I was sometimes offended or dismayed. Thompson does not hold back in her choice of subject matter or language.

There are a few black and white photographs peppered throughout the text, which are delightful. It’s funny to see the actors looking serious in their period costume, while surrounded by modern technology and curious onlookers. My favourite photo is of Kate and Emma lifting Ang (the director) up. The smile on Kate’s face looks so real.

Overall this is an entertaining, and great for people like me who know the movie verbatim. It was nice to understand all of Thompson’s references to various bits in the film. I have seen a nice edition of this – hardback – which includes the complete script.



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home