Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Wednesday, 23 November 2005

Bra-covered fence owner won't back down



The article below is from the Herald.

I'm in two minds about this: first of all, if the guy wants to have bras on his fence, on his land, who's to stop him? It does all seem to be PC nonsense and a sad symptom of the mess our country is in. On the other hand, isn't it a bit sad that a bunch of underwear is referred to as a celebration of our Kiwi culture? Can't we do any better than that? I've seen the fence - it is a novelty, I'll give it that. This whole issue sounds like a fuss being made about nothing.

****

The owner of a bra-covered fence in Central Otago's Cardrona Valley has said he has no plans to take it down following claims it needs a resource consent.

The bra fence started in 1999 when four bras appeared on the fence between Christmas and New Year. The fence now has more than 800 bras, some with names, addresses and phone numbers attached.

The Queenstown Lakes District Council sought a legal opinion after a Cardrona Valley resident complained about the fence.

The council was advised that the fence required a resource consent.

John Lee, who owns the fence, said tourists from all over the world stopped in the Cardrona Valley to photograph the fence and it regularly featured in overseas media.

"It's given us our identity," he said.

He said most of the community supported the fence and he would not take it down unless they objected. He was taking legal advice on the issue of resource consent.

National Party local government spokesman John Carter said the suggestion a resource consent was needed was "PC rubbish".

He said yesterday that the incident highlighted the need to reform the Resource Management Act.

"My advice to the council is to ignore the advice and the objectors and see if anyone is stupid enough to take it to the Environment Court," he said.

"It's these quirky little things that make us New Zealanders."

Council chief executive Duncan Field said the situation was unfortunate, calling it "an unintended consequence of the way the District Plan was drafted", but said the council was obliged to resolve the issue between the complainant and the fence owner.

"Both parties have rights here," he said.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A harmless publicity stunt at worst.

Kiwi's don't need to worry.

Lord of the Rings and its ilk will hold the beauty of your country in folks minds.

4:20 pm  
Blogger Conners said...

I'm from Ontario, Canada and our faithful companions, even the innocent are banned.
Then fence reminded me of what I would like to do with all the muzzles our innocent companions are forced to wear. When we win, which I am sure will we, I was thinking of a giant bombfire to burn the muzzles, but this owner of the fence might be right...perhaps we should do the same with the muzzles as a reminder to the government for making such a HUGE mistaken law.

7:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home