Truth Universally Acknowledged

The title of this blog is an obvious reference to my favourite author, Jane Austen. My other great inspiration is Ella Fitzgerald. I intend this site to be general musings about things which interest me, and hopefully you as well.

Name:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a girl in her twenties living in New Zealand - of Irish and Scottish descent. I'm married to a wonderful guy and we live in a tiny house in the suburbs with a menagerie of soft toys and model aircraft. My main occupations at the moment are attempting to become and author and surviving my day job... wish me luck!


Google
 
Web truthuniversal.blogspot.com

The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (UK)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.co.uk.


The Truth Universally Acknowledged Resource Centre (US)

Browse stuff I like at Amazon.com.

Wednesday, 18 October 2006

Movie review: The Devil Wears Prada at Village Gold Class

The best thing about this movie experience was that it was a gold class freebie put on by one of my company’s suppliers. I had never been to the Gold Class cinema before, and I’m not sure if the free wines and gourmet nibbles in the lounge beforehand are included with a regular ticket price. The nibbles were fantastic, and with the free popcorn provided in the theatre, I would not require any dinner. And the seats! I was one of the last ones inside the theatre so I got stuck in the front row, but being able to recline in a cushy lazy boy, feet up, meant I was never uncomfortable.

On to the movie itself. It was fairly predictable if you knew the premise – innocent girl gets job at high class fashion magazine. Her boss is the most horrible person ever, she has to work too hard, and she hates it. Then she decides to put more effort in, becomes a fashionista, and loses her integrity along the way. Then she realises she has alienated those she loves, and chucks in the towel at the magazine. She’s learned a lot, but is back to being her sweet self. Sigh. Meryl Streep was fabulous of course, being hilarious one moment and heartbreaking the next. Anne Hathaway was sweet and beautiful, but I’m not sure if her character really had enough depth. After a while it looked like she was just being used to showcase designer outfits. A couple of other characters at the magazine were interesting, but everyone else were just props. The message of the movie is to be true to yourself, that fashion is more than just clothing, don’t let work get in the way of your real life… etc. Quite an enjoyable way to spend 109 minutes, but I wouldn’t have paid for it myself.

Interview with Anne Hathaway
Herald Review


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home